Small and Micro Enterprise Advisors (SME Advisor)
About EQWIP HUBs
EQWIP HUBs is a global network of innovation spaces where youth develop market-relevant skills and gain access to the mentorship, networks, technology and capital to transition to the workforce or to launch a new wave of youth-owned enterprise. Hosted by local Partner Organizations in 12 urban centers across Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal, and Tanzania, EQWIP HUBs is a unique platform for youth peer-to-peer collaboration.
EQWIP HUBs is a joint project of Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI), two world-renowned catalysts of innovative youth development and global exchange solutions, with generous funding support from the Government of Canada.
As part of EQWIP HUBs’ mission to put youth in control of their own future, a Youth Innovation Fund has been created to support new businesses. To help them achieve their entrepreneurship goals, EQWIP HUBs, in collaboration with local partners, is providing local youth with business coaching, training, seed capital and mentorship opportunities through the Youth Innovation Fund.
EQWIP HUBs is looking for SME Advisors to support EQWIP HUBs youth participants who have graduated from the project’s entrepreneurship training and have the opportunity to receive both financial and non-financial support. SME Advisors will provide direct assistance to these youth and will help them integrate key start up business skills and fundamentals, through direct training and coaching, to be successful in their business ventures.
As an SME Advisor, you have a passion for business development, social enterprise, participatory learning and coaching. You have demonstrated skills in converting a business plan to an operational, sustainable business and have strong knowledge in finance, accounting and/or marketing.
As volunteer, you will:
- Identify the areas in which young entrepreneurs require additional support and develop new business training modules
- Assist youth in the administrative and start up procedures as they launch their businesses,
- Support youth in developing creative marketing and strategic plans for small businesses
- Conduct relevant business training on financial planning, basic accounting and budgeting
- Provide direct coaching to youth entrepreneurs for the operationalization of their business
- Provide recommendations for the overall entrepreneurship program strategy to increase the quality of interventions and the impact on youth
- Apply capacity building principles in the development and implementation of all activities
- Document and share all tools and materials developed with Partner Organizations and EQWIP HUBs staff
- Contribute to Gender Equality objectives of the project by ensuring the participation of women in all activities
- Additional responsibilities and tasks may be assigned based on HUB and Partner Organization priorities
- University degree in Business Administration, Economics, Entrepreneurship or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in start ups, business incubation and development
- Knowledge of creative approaches to marketing
- Competence in financial management and financial planning for small businesses
- Strong communication skills
- Coaching or mentoring experience
- Understanding of gender sensitive approaches
- Overseas and cross-cultural experience are considered an asset.
Terms and Conditions:
You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for this volunteer placement.
Most costs related to this placement are covered. EQWIP HUBs offers the following conditions that cover basic living expenses while in-country. They include:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country
- Online pre-departure training
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country
- Language training in-country where required
- Return international flights and visa costs
- Health and emergency insurance
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas. This allowance covers communications, housing and food costs and other typical monthly living expenses
Volunteers contribute to youth innovation
Successful applicants undertake to fundraise prior to departure. Volunteer contributions support the Youth Innovation Fund which provides small grants to local youth business start-ups. Fundraising goals are between $2,950 and $3,900 and based on placement length.