Volunteer Small and Micro Enterprise Advisor (SME Advisor)
The SME Advisors will collaborate with EQWIP HUBs in-country team and the successful recipients of the Youth Innovation Fund – a fund that provides eligible youth support to launch their business ideas. Through the Youth Innovation Fund, program participants who have graduated from the EQWIP HUBs entrepreneurship training have the opportunity to receive both financial and non-financial support, including business coaching, additional training and mentoring. SME Advisors will provide assistance to these youth and will help them integrate key start up business skills and fundamentals, through direct training and coaching, to be successful in their business ventures.
As an SME Advisor, you have a passion for social enterprise, international development, participatory learning, coaching and entrepreneurship. You have familiarity with the role of accelerators and the business model canvas approach. You have demonstrated skills in converting a business plan to an operational, sustainable business have strong knowledge in finance, accounting and/or marketing. You are motivated to support young leaders in their community and help them take their business ideas to the next level. SME Advisors will be recruited twice a year for placement periods of 3 months each.
Countries:Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal, Tanzania
Language requirements:Fluent in English or French or Spanish
Experience Requirements:5 years
Upcoming departure dates:May, July, September, November
- Identify the areas in which entrepreneurs require additional support and develop new business training modules;
- Participate in the Youth Innovation Accelerator workshop and assist in the delivery of training sessions;
- Support peer to peer collaboration and the development of support networks for entrepreneurs;
- Collaborate with HUB Network members to enhance the enabling environment for youth starting a business;
- Collaborate with staff, and volunteers, to assist youth in the administrative and financial procedures as they launch their businesses,
- Support youth in developing creative marketing and strategic plans for small businesses;
- Conduct relevant business training on financial planning, basic accounting and budgeting;
- Provide direct coaching to youth entrepreneurs for the operationalization of their business;
- Provide recommendations for the overall entrepreneurship program strategy to increase the quality of interventions and the impact on youth.
- University degree in Business Administration, Enterprise development or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in start ups, accelerators, entrepreneurship or business development.
- Knowledge of creative approaches to marketing
- Awareness of business model canvas approach
- Competence in financial management and financial planning for small businesses
- Strong communication skills.
- Understanding of gender sensitive approaches
- Experience working with a multi-stakeholder team
- Overseas work experience and cross cultural experience are considered an asset.
- Coaching or mentoring experience
- Experience working with youth