Business Support Officer
About EQWIP HUBs
EQWIP HUBs is a global network of innovation spaces where youth develop market-relevant skills and gain access to the mentorship, networks, technology and capital to transition to the workforce or to launch a new wave of youth-owned enterprises. Hosted by local Partner Organizations in 12 urban centers across Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal, and Tanzania, EQWIP HUBs is a unique platform for youth peer-to-peer collaboration.
EQWIP HUBs is a joint project of Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI), two world-renowned catalysts of innovative youth development and global exchange solutions, with generous funding support from the Government of Canada.
EQWIP HUBs is looking for Business Support Officers to strengthen the entrepreneurship capacities of young people and help them develop their businesses.
As a Business Support Officer, you will have the opportunity to provide direct guidance and training to youth graduates of the EQWIP HUBs program. You will collaborate with local Partner Organizations to build their capacities to provide these services in the future. You will also support the Youth Innovation Fund – a seed capital grant for youth-driven entrepreneurship – by providing support to local youth through the application, funding and post-award process.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support the development, planning and delivery of training and coaching activities for youth in business planning, market assessment techniques, creative marketing and other business development strategies as relevant
- Assist EQWIP HUBs staff and local Partner Organizations during the implementation and monitoring of the Youth Innovation Fund
- Mentor local youth in the preparation and application process for the Youth Innovation Fund, including the development of their business and financial plans
- Provide support to Youth Innovation Fund recipients, including direct coaching, and identification of local business mentors and additional support services
- Conduct market scans to identify business and value chain opportunities for youth entrepreneurs in the local economy
- Contribute to data collection and reporting process and identification of success stories and lessons learned
- Apply capacity building principles in the development and implementation of all activities
- Document and share all tools and materials developed with Partner Organizations and EQWIP HUBs staff
- Contribute to Gender Equality objectives of the project by ensuring the participation of women in all activities
- Additional responsibilities and tasks may be assigned based on HUB and Partner Organization priorities
Qualifications and skills:
We are looking for volunteers who offer the following skills:
- Education background in business management, marketing, entrepreneurship or related fields
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to co-operate as part of a team professionally, require minimal supervision to accomplish tasks and continually prioritize duties
- Experience with one or more of the following is an asset: small business development, business analysis, market research
Terms and conditions
You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for this volunteer placement.
Most costs related to this placement are covered. EQWIP HUBs offers the following conditions that cover basic living expenses while in-country. They include:
- Support and guidance prior to departure and while on assignment in country
- Online pre-departure training
- In-country orientation and briefing upon arrival in-country
- Language training in-country where required
- Return international flights and visa costs
- Health and emergency insurance
- Modest monthly living allowance while overseas. This allowance covers communications, housing and food costs and other typical monthly living expenses
Volunteers contribute to youth innovation
Successful applicants undertake to fundraise prior to departure. Volunteer contributions support the Youth Innovation Fund which provides small grants to local youth business start-ups. Fundraising goals are between $2,950 and $3,900 and based on placement length.